Because Spring is part two of a four-part project, I had be sure that the choices I made for this piece will harmonize with the previous work.
I have a very clear vision of the overall project, and have decided to contrast the moods of the seasons greatly. On the other hand, I will needed to organize specific consistencies.
*minimizing of neck and body
*some sort of collar appropriate to each season
*the same necklace representing nature’s hardships
*long hair with a life of its own
*a certain amount of dimension and texture in the back round
*a value gradient dark to light from bottom to top
*one element of disguise
*clear difference in position of the head and eyes reflecting the qualities of each season
(*perhaps a border when all four have been completed)
Below are the steps I took to stylize Ms. Spring, ultimately leading to the finish (above).
Quick sketches with a twist of Photoshop distortion to push them just a little further.
Okey Dokey, part two is mostly about the way I manipulated my photos to provide a back round and a dress for Ms. Spring. There have to be myriad ways to deal with photos incorporated into digital paintings. I’m simply revealing the way I went about it in this piece. And, I have no problem revealing this to you. I think that the photos in this context will get the job done better than my painting of said areas.
Above is a screenshot of the basic Photoshop underpainting of “Winter”. Below is a visual tutorial of the painting process. Please feel free to ask any questions that may come to mind, since my text explanation is spare.
Intention began as an Illustration Friday prompt. It didn’t take long to realize that what I was making was decidedly not an illustration. My intention-derailed. I should back up and mention that Intention started as a watercolor, though not a good watercolor. I scanned it and finished painting digitally. So much for my initial intention. Next, I felt that the white space fell flat. I needed some texture, so I dug through photo textures I create for this purpose. I’m always drawn to fabric, and there in the reference were three interesting images to layer over the painting. I couldn’t quite decide, so I created three versions.
Intention vs process:)
Illustration Friday‘s prompt this week is stripes. And, while my above entry is less an illustration and more a portrait, I couldn’t help myself. I love to paint real people. As my penance for not pushing the illustration angle, I decided to make watercolor my medium for this challenge. My watercolor skills are well, not so hot. And even though I smacked my hand when I reached for it, I confess to using opacity in the form of white watercolor in this. I know, I know watercolor is supposed to be translucent. There-in lies the beauty. What can I say, I’m a layers kinda girl.
When I finished the painting, I had to scan it into Photoshop for cropping, and I did it again! I picked up the highlights and messed with it some more. Then, I found the black and white too strident and cold, so I sepiaed it up.
(original painting) (after digital enhancements)
That is my full confession. I WILL try unadulterated watercolor again. I want to, but not before hiding my ever so tempting, gleaming tube of white.